Happy Columbus Day!
- Would you have sailed with Columbus? Why or why not?
- Pretend you are a stowaway on board the Nina, Pinta, or Santa Maria. Write a descriptive paragraph of what it's like to sail the ocean blue in 1492.
It's Fire Safety Month here’s the scenario:
- You wake up to an annoying sound. After your brain clears you realize it’s the smoke alarm. One look around and you realize your house is on fire. What do you do next?
- You’re babysitting when you hear a scream from the 10 year old’s bedroom. You run upstairs to find that he and a friend have been playing with matches and the bedding’s on fire! So you…
- Your teacher has assigned a Fire Safety Project. The Big Kids have to teach a class of little kids about fire safety. What’s your project going to be? Details please.
- You’ve finally grown up and become what you’ve always wanted to be, a fire fighter! Tell me what it’s like.
It’s National Clock Month Choose One:
- Your alarm doesn’t go off and you’re late for a very important interview. Tell me how you handle it so you still impress them and land the job.
- Are you a person that’s on time or are you always running late? Is it important to be prompt? Why or why not?
- Are you a “morning person” or a “night time person” meaning you do your best or feel your best at those times.
- Tell me what some of your favorite things are that you like to do with your time.
- Tell me some of the things that you think are the biggest waste of your time.
- If you could change the school schedule how would you change it and why?
It's National Bat Appreciation Month:
- Do you like bats? Why or why not?
- What kinds of things in life drive you batty? Make a list.
- If you could turn into a bat like in the famous vampire movies, would you want to? What do you think it would be like to be a bat?
- Do you like the Twilight movies? Why or why not. Do you have a favorite character? Which one? Why?
I’m In A Spin…
- International Top Spinning Day is October 13th.
- I have my students spin tops as a great fine motor skill. You can also talk about planet earth being like a top because it too spins!
- What puts you in a spin, gets you in a real tizzy and makes you so upset you can barely think? Tell me about it. What do you think you can do to calm yourself?
- It's National Go On A Fieldtrip Month. If you could plan a fieldtrip for your class and you could go ANYWHERE, where would you go, when would you go, and what would you do?
Make Mine Pepperoni:
- National Pizza Month falls in October. What is your favorite kind of pizza? Do you have pizza often? If you could plan the ultimate pizza party with friends what would it be like?
- Is October 15th. Who is the sweetest person you know? Why?
- What can you personally do to be a sweeter person?
October 21st is Reptile Awareness Day:
- Hands down, my favorite reptiles are turtles; my least favorite are snakes. What is your favorite and least favorite reptile? Explain why.
Oh don’t be such a GROUCH!
- National Grouch Day is October 15th. (Who thinks up these things?)
- What makes you grouchy or causes you to get angry and blow your fuse? Do you have a temper or are you a “go with the flow” person. Tell me about yourself.
- Who in your life is a real grouch? Why do you think they act that way? What do you do or can you do, to make them less grouchy?
Frankenstein Friday: is October 28th. Here's the scenario: You too, are a "mad scientist" like Dr. Frankenstein. You have just created a monster as well! What does he/she look like? Have you named your monster? Describe your monster and then draw a picture of it.
Have some fun with the DICTIONARY
- Noah Webster wrote the American Dictionary. He was born on October 16, 1758. It took him nearly 50 years to complete it! Tell me what your passion is. Is this something that you could spend your whole life doing?
- Look up 5 new words in the dictionary. Use them in a sentence. See if your classmates know what they mean. Can they guess?
I Dare - double dare you to do something crazy!
- On October 24, 1901 Anna Taylor went over Niagara Falls in a barrel. Why do you think people do crazy things like that? Have you, or someone you know, ever done anything crazy? Tell me about it. If not, if someone dared you, or paid you $1,000 would you? What amount of money would make you do something crazy?
And The Light Goes On…
- Thomas Edison’s invention of the light bulb finally worked in October!
- Congratulations! You’ve just invented something terrific! You’re world-famous now. What did you invent and how has it helped mankind?
Happy Bosses Day!
- You’re CEO of a high-clas company. What do you make/market? What’s your job description? Tell me about a day in your jet-set life!
- You’re principal for the month of October. What changes will you make and why?
- You’re a journalist for the school newspaper. Interview your principal. Is this an easy job? What things did you find out that he he/she had to do that you weren’t aware of?
- If you could be principal for a day would you want to be? Why or why not? What kinds of things would you do?
National Pet Peeve Week is in October:
- I wonder if there’s a committee who thinks up these crazy things? Anyway a pet peeve is not a pet, it’s a thing that someone does that drives you crazy, gets your goat, & makes you go bananas. In other words you CAN’T stand it!
- Do you have a pet peeve? What is it? Why does it drive you nuts? Tell me about it. Maybe you’ll feel better just venting!
Spider-iffic Spiders-NOT! Ugh!
- I’m anathema to arachnids; which means I don’t like them. I LOVE teaching my students about them tho’, but when I was little a big ole’ pine spider dropped off the ceiling and plopped onto my shoulder while I was lying on my cot. (Arrg!) I’ve never quite gotten over it. Do you like spiders?
- Tell me something that you’re afraid of or that gives you the creeps and why.
October 31st is National Knock-Knock Joke Day: What's your favorite knock-knock joke? Do you like telling jokes? Do you think "laughter is the best medicine?"
- You’ve been asked to plan the Harvest Masquerade Ball. Tell me the details from invitations and food to decorations, entertainment and what you’ll wear plus where you’ll hold the festivities.
- Someone’s pounding on the door. You go to answer it and no one’s there, just 3 drops of blood on the front step. Tell me what happens next.
- The phone rings. It’s your best friend. She says that someone is following her as she is out trick or treating. Suddenly there is a scream and the line goes dead. What do you do?
- The boys dare the girls to go for a walk in the graveyard at midnight. Do you take the dare? Tell me the details.
- You’re out trick or treating. No one wants to go to the spooky house on the hill. You’re not afraid so you say you’ll go. You knock on the door. The door slowly creaks open; a hand reaches for yours and….. (Finish the rest.)
Put a little MAGIC in your life!
October 31st is National Magic Day. If you had magical powers what would you do to make your school a better place to be? How would having these powers change your life? What kind of powers would you have?
- If you want to spice up your lessons check out my videos and put a little magic in your classroom today!
- For more writing prompts, click on the link. I've made a booklet that contains some for each month on a variety of topics!
- I also have a FREE Picture-Driven Writing Prompts Packet for FALL! Click on the link to check it out.
- Click on the link for Dates In History October Writing Prompts.
I hope you have a simply "Spooktacular" time writing this month!