1-2-3 Come Study Johnny Appleseed With Me!
I've had several requests for some activities about Johnny Appleseed, so I designed this 10-page packet, which will help your students develop their writing skills.
The Packet Includes:
- A fact sheet about Johnny Appleseed that the teacher reads.
- 2 Johnny Appleseed's Pot Hat "craftivities" to test comprehension. Run off the template on card stock. Students cover it with aluminum foil. They write in their answers on the "pot handle" strips, trim and staple to make a "flip for facts" booklet about Johnny Appleseed.
- If you'd like to make this extra special, take a head shot of each child and enlarge it to 8x10. Students glue their cooking pot to the top of their head. If you don't want to use a photo, have students draw a self-portrait. Instead of Johnny Appleseed on the hat, they write their name + Appleseed.
- To further test comprehension, I've included a "Tell me 3 facts about Johnny Appleseed" writing prompt.
- A "Write 5 adjectives describing Johnny Appleseed"graphic organizer will also show what students have learned.
- A Johnny Appleseed graphing extension reinforces other standards and allows children to share their opinions, as well as get to know each other better.
Click on the link to view/download the Johnny Appleseed packet. If you're looking for other Johnny Appleseed activities, I spent several hours searching for some interesting things for my readers.
To help learn some basic facts, and include singing into your day, there's a Johnny Appleseed song on YouTube that's under 2 minutes. A while back, Disney came out with a Johnny Appleseed movie. It's only 17 minutes long and can be viewed on YouTube. This would make a nice culminating activity to your Johnny Appleseed studies.
I use coloring pages to make worksheets with letters, numbers, shapes etc. I also turn them into math sheets and connect the dots via skip counting. When my students are done with the task at hand, they can color the picture. I'm always on the lookout for coloring pages that fit my theme. A Johnny Appleseed coloring page can be found at this link. Martin also has a Johnny Appleseed coloring page, as well as education world.
Thanks for visiting today. Feel free to PIN away. If you'd like to take a peek at all of the awesome educational items that I spend a portion of my day pinning, click on the heart button to your right.
"I keep six honest serving men; they taught me all I know; their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who." -Rudyard Kipling